This is a guide on how to make a Leyden Jar that makes awesome sparks with materials you may even find in your house. It’s inexpensive, basically harmless and fun.
Here is the list of materials you will need:
- An empty film canister with lid. These are available at Educational Innovations.
- Multistrand insulated wire; eg. type HPN Heater Cord
- Single conductor/solid un-insulated wire, about 1.5 mm in diameter (16 gauge copper wire).
- Some aluminum or copper foil. (NOTE: Any conductive foil will work. Copper foil is thicker and easier to work with than aluminum foil, but aluminum foil works. Heavy duty aluminum foil works best.
- A bolt (10/24) with a round head that is shorter than the film canister’s height. Two nuts that fit the screw. Washer is optional.
- Scotch tape.